Monday, May 9, 2011

Our new friend Kat

Last week I rescued a kitten. Well, sort of. I was at work and two of my coworkers were outside talking. They heard kittens meowing but could not figure out where it was coming from. It was decided they were either on the roof, in the rain gutter, or on top of the pillar that holds the roof up. Natalie called animal control and was told they could not take the kittens until we got them down. We asked the maintenance man to get our big ladder so we could get up there, it's about 25ft maybe? I'm horrible at that kind of stuff so don't take my word for it! He told us someone had taken it and there was no way to get up there.

Next door at Jalapeno Poppers there were some men working on the building and they had a tall ladder leaning against it. I decided I would go over and ask them to let us borrow it to get the poor kittens down.

I'm going to take a quick moment to let you know that the previous week Natalie had called animal control to pick up a black cat that was always wondering around in our parking lot and climbing up the tree by the pillar. Neither of us had any idea there were kittens up there. Also, animal control made no mention to the cat possibly having kittens.

So, the guys next door let us use their latter and one of them even brought it over and waited. Jerome (my maintenance man) set up the ladder so we could crawl to the roof. I had a feeling they were on top of the pillar, just below the roof but I didn't say anything. They had it set up and said the lightest person should go up.

Just my luck I was the lightest, I am also the most terrified of heights. I get scared just standing on a chair. I get light headed, I start shaking, my stomach gets in knots, basically I freeze like a popsicle..... However, for reasons I can not account for, I went straight for the ladder and crawled right up.

I made sure not to look down while I was going up. My first scare was getting stuck on a tree limb, that made me a little shaky. Come to find the kittens were in fact, not on the roof or in the rain gutter. Because of where I was I could see that they were not on top of, but inside of the pillar! At the top of the pillar it is hollow for about 5 ft. I could see the kittens crawling up the side of the wall (all I could think about was the girl crawling up the well in the movie The Ring, freaky.)

I crawled back down the ladder and they repositioned it to where I could get to the top of the pillar. When I got to the top there was no way I would be able to get to the kittens. They had fallen to the bottom and I was too scared to let go of the ladder anyway. So, I climbed down.

To make a long story short,  a guest that was staying at the hotel arrived and was determined to save those little kittens (there were 2) God bless him! I was so thrilled with the whole encounter that I insisted on taking one of the kittens home with me. Proof of my victory over my fear, even if it was only temporary. Vicky, my other coworker, decided to take the other home with her. What a happy ending! Neither kitten had to go to the pound!

I brought the kitten home that night and since then Audrey has fallen in love. I have never seen her so excited. She is absolutely smitten with that kitten ;) Brandon also seems to really like her. It is funny how protective he is over her. He gets upset if Audrey is too rough with her. *Side note- I just called him and he said Kat was sleeping on his shoulder, so cute!

Having her is a huge adjustment and requires a whole lot of patience as she learns, but it is so worth it to see Audrey's eyes light up every time she sees her. Audrey calls her 'mow' because that is what cats say. Every morning when Audrey wakes up one of the first things she says is, "where mow?" She puts her hands up and shrugs her shoulders, "I nu know."

We have decided to name her Kat. I had a few names I was considering but I wanted Brandon to be involved so yesterday we came to our conclusion. My names were: Kat, Grace, Lamb, and Mow. The reasons are: Kat is because Audrey is named after Audrey Hepburn who played in Breakfast at Tiffany's as Holly Golightly. In the movie Holly has a cat that she calls 'cat' because she didn't feel she had the right to give it a name. The reason it is spelled with a K is to give it a little flair. I also love the name Catherine. Wuthering Heights anyone? I'm also in love with Kate Middleton.  Grace is because I was  her saving grace, and I like Grace Kelly, and the name itself is cute and fits our kitten. Lamb was for the fact that she is cute and fluffy like a lamb.  Mow is because that is what Audrey calls her.





When I asked Brandon his decision, he chose Kat. He likes the meaning behind it. So her name is Kat, Audrey still calls her 'mow' but she can say Kat and eventually she'll get it. She is just now calling Roxy by her name. Instead of 'cocoa' or 'puppies'. How she says it is so adorable, and funny because it sounds like something else. Her version of Roxy is 'sethsy' or something along those lines. It is too cute, but then everything that comes out of her mouth is cute.






The day after.............. a short story.

The day after I brought Kat home, I had put Roxy out to take her morning potty and I heard a kitten meowing. I thought maybe Brandon had put our little kitten outside for some reason. I went to grab her and realized it wasn't her. It was another kitten about the same age only she was black. Audrey had the joy of entertaining two little kittens for a short while. She was in heaven.




Unfortunately, I only have patience for one kitten right now. I decided it would be best to call animal control, at her age it shouldn't be hard to be adopted. Where if I had put her back outside I am certain she would have become another stray cat on the block. And we really do not need another one of those.

No comments: