Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Wallow Fire

So, if you have not heard already, there is a huge fire burning in  AZ. It is called the Wallow Fire and they are saying it has the potential to become just like the Rodeo-Chedaski fire. Let us hope and pray it does not get any worse than it is.

It has already burned over 144,000 acres. Tomorrow is supposed to be windy, again. I am so sad for the families, homeowners, and business owners in the area. I pray that they can save as many of these places as possible.

The reason I am posting about this fire is because I visited this area over Memorial Day weekend. I posted all about our visit to Greer and Big Lake. This fire has come very close to these areas. Greer is on a pre-evactuation notice and several people have evacuated voluntarily. The fire has impacted the Big Lake Lookout but the recreation area has not been affected as of yet.

I hate to see this beautiful area go up in flames, I fell so in love with it last weekend. I do not understand why the forests are kept open when the fire dangers are so high, but they do. People need to be safe when having fires, even if it is just cooking. You never know what might happen.

I hope they find who is at fault and hold them responsible. This is a horrible ordeal and my heart and prayers go to everyone in the area.






All of these pictures are the view from Holbrook. The origin of the fire is 138 miles from here. The fire is still about 121 miles from here. It is amazing how much smoke is all the way over here. There are mesas outside my window at work and I cannot see them because of smoke.

No comments: