Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kindness

Are you kind to others? Do you smile at random strangers you pass at the grocery store? Are you there for your friends and family whenever they may need you? Are you there to listen with both ears?

 Do you want others to leave you with a smile on their face? I do.

Over the years I have become a lot less kind and a lot more bitter. I have worked customer service for too long and lost my patience with people. It needs to change. I want people to enjoy their experience when they come to me. Even if you speak to me for only a few moments, I do not ever want it to be unpleasant.

I am not always the most kind person, but I do try. I smile at strangers, I say thank you when I finish my order at the drive thru window, I try to go out of my way and do things for others in which the only reward in it for me is the satisfaction I feel knowing I helped another.

I can think of a million ways I can change and be more kind to others. So my goal for this month is to recognize when I am not being kind, and change it. I have been thinking about this for a long time now and I have slowly been getting much better. It is so hard to smile and keep thinking happy thoughts when others around you have horrible attitudes. Really, it is those people who need your kindness the most.

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again. ~Og Mandino



I am sorry to be sentimental on you all and I promise I do have a point. Do you remember "Pay it Forward?" I hope to do something like that. I decided that the next person that comes in and is exceptionally kind to me (yes, occasionally this does happen) is going to take my tickets for tomorrows Diamondbacks game. As long as they are going to Phoenix tomorrow that is. I do not want them to go to waste and my overall goal is to remind said person that being kind does pay off. Hopefully, they will continue to be nice to others and the ones they are nice to will 'Pay it Forward,' so on and so forth.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain

No comments: